Alternative energy from waste and biomass
List of Topics
Amounts, quality, properties, monitoring, source segregation, sorting and collecting systems, energy potential evaluation, etc.
- Municipal Solid Waste (Putrescible Organic Fractions, Paper and cardboard, Plastics, Food waste, Unsorted waste, Gardening, etc.)
- Special waste (Tyres, Automotive Shredded Residues, High calorific C&D waste, Residues from Circular Economy)
- Healthcare waste
- Organic Industrial and hazardous waste
- Residual oils (Lubricants, Cooking oils, Concentrated oils form bilge waters, etc.)
- Sludges (Sewage sludge, Kraft mill pulp sludge, etc.)
- Waste biomass (Agriculture and horticultural residues, Manure, wastes from Beverage and Food industries, Winery industries waste, Meet and Fish industries, etc.)
- Harvested Biomass (Wood from forests, agriculture crops, by-products from wood and agriculture, algae, seaweeds, vegetable oils, etc.)
- Others (Insects, larvae, etc.)
2. CONVERSION PROCESSES
Features, operation, technologies, efficiencies, emissions control, residues management, siting of plants, decentralisation, appropriate solutions for Developing Countries, etc.
- Mechanical treatment (Shredding, Sorting, Pelletising, etc.)
- Anaerobic digestion (hydrolysis, acidogenic fermentation, biohydrogen production, acetogenesis, methanogenesis)
- Biodrying for Solid Recovered Fuels (SRF) production
- Biorefinery unit operations (Distillation, Transesterification, Fermentation, Hydrogenation, etc.)
- Microbial fuel cell
- Chemical Treatment (conversion of plastics to fuels, Fluid Catalytic Cracking (FCC), Hydrogenation, etc.)
- Thermochemical treatment (Combustion, Pyrolysis, Gasification, etc.)
- Low temperature thermochemical processes (Torrefaction, Hydrothermal Liquefaction, Hydrothermal Carbonization)
- Integrated conversion processes
3. ENERGY OUTPUTS
Quality, purification, handling, storage, transport features, quality and energy valorisation
- Liquid fuels: ethanol, biodiesel, methanol, vegetable oil, pyrolysis oil, tars etc.
- Gaseous fuels: biogas (CH4 and CO2), producer gas (CO, H2, CH4, CO2 , H2), syngas (CO, H2), substitute natural gas (CH4)
- Solid fuels: charcoal, torrefied biomass, RDF/SRF, etc.
- Heat (steam production, district utilisation, industrial use, etc.)
- Electricity (On site production, Electrofuels from renewable sources, etc.)
- Mobility fuels (gasoline, diesel, maritime fuels, SAF-sustainable aviation fuels)
4. POLICIES, STRATEGIES, REGULATIONS
Regional, National and international approaches, EU Strategies and directives, role of research, etc.
- Legal and administrative liabilities
- Role of alternative energy generation in Circular Economy strategies
- End of waste issues for alternative energy generation and use
5. GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE
Role of alternative energy from waste and biomass
- CO2 capture Storage Utilisation
- CO2 credits
- Carbon balance
- Reduction of GHG
- Energy saving etc.
6. ECONOMIC ASPECTS
Virtuous relationships between economy, scientific research and technologies, case studies etc.
- Capital and operational costs,
- Revenues, taxation and excise duties
- Financing opportunities
- Sales e-trading, business analytics
- Economic Perspectives in Developing countries
7. DECISION TOOLS
Sustainability achievement, cost-benefit assessment, alternative scenarios, evaluation grid, etc.
- Environmental impact assessment
- Sustainability achievement
- Material and substance flow analysis
- Energy flow analysis,
- LCA-Life cycle analysis
- Risk assessment, etc.
8. COMMUNICATION: WASTE TO ENERGY AND SOCIETY
Role of communication, How to communicate, Public involvement, etc.
- Public perception in different national contexts
- Waste to energy in the media
- Waste to energy and social movements/ Local oppositions
- Communication tools
- Information campaigns
- Mediation and consensus/ Education/ Case studies
9. OTHER RELEVANT ISSUES
Problems definition, Critical aspects, Solutions, Case studies, etc.
- Digitalization and automation (AI-Artificial Intelligence), ML-Machine Learning, IoT -Internet of Things, Big Data, cloud and edge computing, robotic process automation, logistics, etc.)
- Architecture of biomass/waste-to-energy plants (volumetric footprint as a design tool for functional land planning, designing criteria, etc.)
- Ecotoxicological aspects and health issues (Occupational health, Emissions and human exposure, Epidemiological studies, etc.)
- Environmental impacts (emissions, odours, etc.)