VENICE CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS
Get instant access to more than 300 papers > Proceedings are now available for purchase on a USB drive. All papers submitted to the conference are included. Order your copy >
Venice 2016 photo gallery
NOW AVAILABLE! > See pictures from the Sixth International Symposium on Energy from Biomass and Waste! Read more >
Venice 2016 Symposium marks a break with tradition as the Symposium moves to the Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista (Great School of St. John the Evangelist).
The School can be reached with a few minutes’ walk from the railway station and with its central position makes it perfect for visiting Venice during breaks as well as at the end of the day.
The oldest amongst the Great Schools active in Venice, founded in 1261, this institution is considered one of the most beautiful and monumental complexes, rich in works of art and architecture of immense artistic value.
The term “Scuola”, meaning “School”, was coined by the ancient Republic of Venice and was meant to identify a confraternity, brotherhood, or group of lay citizens who dedicated themselves to the material and mutual spiritual assistance, and who practiced, in honor of the patron saint of that school.
A defining moment for the School of St. John the Evangelist was the donation of the Relic of the Cross (1369), which since then became the symbol of the School and the object of an extraordinary veneration.
After the fall of the Republic of Venice in 1797, the Schools were suppressed by a Napoleonic edict (1806 -1807), however, during the nineteenth century some were re-constituted, among them being the Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista.
Today the School hosts art and architecture exhibition and is home to an internationally renowned meeting centre.
HOW TO GET THERE ... >